Monday, April 15, 2013

"Vitamin I" - My New Friend

My brain was all over the place during my workout today.
Which isn't really all that new.
It's Always All Over the Place.
I might be an Over-Thinker, so I'm finding these workouts to be even more of a time for my brain to hop all over the place.
Tonight was no exception.
I heard about the Boston Marathon bombing this afternoon. I watched a few minutes of the news, but didn't have time to get sucked in, so I sent a little prayer into the universe, and moved back to my work pile.
I knew today was going to be a rough run - I was tired, sore, and not looking forward to another run in the cold and rain. But I started anyway. And finished.
But it was rough, I'm not gonna lie.
While running, my thoughts kept going to the tragedy at the marathon. I just can't imagine - I'm excited about completing my 3-minute intervals - I can't even fathom training for, qualifying for, and then running the Boston Marathon, only to have the race ended so abruptly and horrifically.

When I got home from my workout, I attempted my normal post-workout multi-tasking: jotting notes on my run and stretching my (already) sore muscles. But like during my run, it was hard to concentrate on the task at hand because I wanted information about what had happened. It was challenging to focus on how I was feeling, both physically and mentally about my run, when my brain was clearly wanting to go elsewhere. It got harder when I started second-guessing myself - feeling whiny about my aches and pains, when others today had limbs blown off.
*sigh*
My heart goes out to the marathoners, volunteers, organizers, Boston residents, and all affected by today's tragedy.

I will also be true to myself and share the notes from today. Even though they feel a little ridiculous in the grand scheme of today, they're MY ridiculous, and they're real. So here are today's thoughts on completing week two of my training program:

4.15.13: Week Two, Day 3, Workout #6

This is going to be really hard.
Maybe harder than I thought.
Last week this slow delving into training seemed Very Do-able.
Today I ran two 3-minute intervals. I was proud of myself on Saturday for completing the first 3-minute interval, so today I was extra proud. TWICE I ran three minutes in a row!!!!
It was hard, but I did it.
It dawned on me that the walking time is quickly decreasing during these workouts.
Which means more running.

Which is when the doubt crept in.
The goal is to run a 5K. The whole 5K. Three point one miles.
Today that seems daunting and REALLY FAR.
But hopefully that's just because I'm feeling the effects of a long Monday at work, and I just need some Vitamin I. (A colleague introduced me to to this term today. The "I", my friends, is Ibuprofen).
BUT . . . I finished today.
I ran when I didn't want to.
I'm sure this won't be the last day I dread my workout, but here's hoping it is!

1 comment: