Saturday, March 19, 2011

Silly March Madness

I don't normally pay attention to all this madness.
Basketball isn't really my sport.
But since I filled out brackets for the men's and women's tournaments, I feel a little more invested in what's happening this year.
Though I'm finding that I'm not really consistent in who I'm cheering for.
Or maybe this is normal.
But regardless of what I have on paper, I cheer for the team that tugs at my heartstrings the most.
And the rules change, depending on the game.
So . . . if you, too, would like to follow along, here are the guidelines I am apparently following:
1. If you are Marquette, Ohio State, Wisconsin, or Michigan State, I will automatically be cheering for you. [Let's pretend that this list is in no particular order, and that these teams never play each other.]
2. If I, or someone I know, happens to have graduated from, or has some connection to a school, I will also cheer for you. For example, Indiana State, Purdue, Richmond or Gonzaga.
3. If you are an underdog, I'm your biggest fan.
4. Unless you are playing one of the teams listed in number one.
5. Even if it ruins my bracket.
6. I'm a sucker for cute stories - like the fact that there were two kids sitting on the Morehead State bench - and they were officially listed as members of the team. How cute is that? [Two of the coaches kids, in case you were wondering.]
7. There are some schools that I have a really hard time rooting for. Michigan might be one of those. But since they're part of the Big Ten, I will be supportive. Kind-of. It's hard.
8. If you beat one of the teams listed in number one, I will automatically cheer for whomever is playing you next. Unless they are Florida. Whom I have no allegiance to. And have a bit of a disdain for.
9. None of this makes any sense.
10. But I do heart me the passion that goes along with college sports. And so I am enjoying the bracket-busters and heart-wrenching last-second shots that are changing this tournament.
11. Go Bucks.
12. We Are Marquette.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm catching up on your blog.
    I won the URDS March Madness bracket...ME...Mr. Sports...I WON! :)

    ReplyDelete