Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Some New Traditions to Learn

A couple of weeks ago I got to go to my first football game in Camp Randall. Despite the gross heat (and the fact that it was a Thursday night game, the night before the first day of school), we had a really great time. The fact that our seats kicked-ass probably helped with that.


Yep, we’re on the 50-yard line, in row 14. [Totally lucked out here – I bid on these tickets at a silent auction last spring, and a kindly local bank donated these tickets. I think it’s safe to say that I will probably bid on these every year, because there’s nothing like watching a game when the ESPN guys get in the way of your view).



While it was a little strange to sit in a stadium without knowing any of the traditions, it was also cool to figure out what some of those are. Here are a few of my favorite, along with some pictures from the UW-Madison vs. UNLV game.

I'd like to take a second to note that this, like all the photos, are from my phone. Yep, I'll say it again. Our seats were great.


This happens between the 3rd and 4th quarters. It involves a lot of jumping. J We were glad we were in a stable portion of the stadium, as I’m sure this could probably make you seasick if you are in the student section. Many fans stayed just to participate in this. I can see why. [Yes, I did borrow a YouTube video from last year's OSU v. UW game. I promise that's because after viewing many options to showcase this strong tradition, this one gives you the best sense of how much the crowd (and frankly, the opposing team) gets into it.]

Fifth Quarter
If you have met me, you know I'm a band nerd at heart. I love me some great college marching bands. I'd like to write ESPN to see if they can get a channel devoted to halftime shows.
Seriously.
But in the meantime, I'll stick to enjoying the performances in person.

Our Drum Major entering the field. She's pretty awesome.

So none of you will be surprised that I loved the Fifth Quarter. The UW-Marching Band puts 15 minutes on the clock and performs non-stop for the fans that stay at the end of the game. They played songs from all sorts of genres, danced all over the field, and held the crowd's attention after a really long day. Awesome. So glad we stayed to participate in this experience.
One of their more formal songs during the fifth quarter - singing of "Varsity."

In case you're wondering, yes, in fact, they are laying on the ground and playing their instruments!


Teach Me How to Bucky
While it wasn’t something I learned at the game, the prevalence of TEACH ME HOW TO BUCKY t-shirts were a good reminder that I needed to learn how to Bucky. Wondering what the heck that is? Me too. J
After watching THIS and THIS, I might still be confused. Maybe I need to watch it again. Or gain some dance moves. Probably both. At any rate, it's catchy and fun, and necessary to understanding what the heck those shirts are talking about!

This was probably my favorite. I think perhaps because it was a little surprising to have the fans participate in something so . . . wholesome. Our fans aren’t always known for being so . . . well . . . sweet . . I’ve always been a sucker for a cappella music – but when there are thousands of students making it happen, it gives me chills! The end of this song is really cool. In person . . . pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment