Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Forgotten Book Shout-Out

My friend Danielle reminded me of another great children's book that I forgot to mention yesterday.
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed

There's a little backstory here, forgive me.
In grad school, a friend of mine decided that she wanted to get a Naked Mole Rat for a pet. She thought they were pretty amazing, albeit ugly, little animals. They can apparently chew through steel. If you want to learn more about them, you can go here. Though, I'll warn you, they aren't cute. One website describes them as a mini-walrus, and another a hot dog with teeth. Neat.
Anyway, I digress.
So . . . Ashley became a huge fan of these quirkly little animals, and information was planted into my brain.
Fast-forward a few years.

While in Seattle for a conference, a few of us were taking a break from interviews and checking out downtown. To get out of a light rain, we popped into a book store, where I got Very Excited when I found the perfect book: Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed.
My friends, of course, thought I was a freak of nature about my excitement, but I didn't care.
I had found the perfect book for Ashley's soon-to-be-born second son.
And we know how I feel about finding the perfect book/gift.

What makes this story more amusing is that later that night, after having 1 or 2 drinks with dinner, I thought it was a good idea to read the book, out loud, to my friends.
And I found that it's very hard to say "naked mole rat."
It might have come out a time or two as "naked ROLE MAT."

And so hilarity ensued.
And I haven't lived it down.
But it IS a very cute book, with a nice moral to the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment