Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Whole New Perspective on Snow

I'm pretty sure the last time I enjoyed the snow I wore snowpants and owned mittens with a string attached to them (as well as those little suspendery-things) and we couldn't wait to get on the snow hills that my dad made after plowing our driveway.
That was a long time ago.
Now I have a whole different view, beyond just not liking it for the plain-old-irritations that it brings to life - traffic, slippery sidewalks, and the general, freezing-cold that it brings with it.
I have to think about what it means for my staff, because it's our job to clear it.
So new things I now think about when it's snowing (like it is now):
Shite. Larry's gonna hate this.
And then . ..
1. How long is it going to snow?
2. How much snow is going to fall?
3. What time will the snow end? And begin again?
4. Will I need to be sure someone is on staff right now? Can it wait until morning?
5. Is it going to snow over a weekend?
5a. How much?
5b. For how long?
5c. Will it be during a Packer play-off game?
5d. Will people come in to work during said game?
6. How cold will it be?
7. Will salt work? Do we have enough salt?
8. If it won't work (as in, it's too cold), do we have enough of the other stuff we use (that I don't remember the name of).
9. Will the guys stay warm enough in the bobcat? Should I bring them some hot chocolate and cookies?
10. Is it a furlough day?
11. If it is a furlough day, when will the grounds crew reschedule said furlough day?
12. Gross.
You get the picture. Like everything else, this is a whole new world to learn, and a new lens with which to look at snowflakes. Though, I will say that at least we are prepared for this - unlike our friends in Atlanta, who had their 4th snow day today, or the peeps in Boston who totally got dumped on. We're not there - knock on wood.

1 comment:

  1. You've got more than one job - you should get a few more titles for your business cards...

    pyt :)

    ReplyDelete