Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Just a plain-old update on life . . .

So . . . I said I wanted a job where I could use more of my brain.
I got what I asked for.
I am learning a ton, and have a ridiculously busy schedule, like any new employee who's trying to learn on-the-go and get the daily stuff done at the same time.
So by the end of the day I don't have a ton of energy.
Or any good stories for the blog.
But a post was requested, and I'm trying to oblige.
So this will just be a boring update.
The last two weeks have been filled with interviews and working on my labor budget. Out of all of the budgets that I've had to work on (capitol projects, supplies and revenue), this is by far the worst to do. The math is hateful.
For example: Number of student custodians times weeks in the summer times forty hours per week. Oh but wait . . . they might want to take a week off, so subtract one person. For a week. So that means forty hours. Times how many student employees we need.
I clearly can't even bring myself to write out any more numbers using Actual Numbers.
Because then we get into philosophical discussions about how turning over apartments can affect the vacancy loss and if we can decrease that then we can hire more people to get a lower number of vacancies. And in the end, renting more apartments and making more money to pay for the rest of the stuff we want to do.
Or something like that.
:)
Yep. Learning a lot, and using math skills that have been buried since tenth grade.
My brain hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment