Sunday, November 14, 2010

Details.

My good friend, K Savvy, has been helping me understand that some people are better at details than others.
I am somewhere in the middle. Well, I think I'm in the middle.
With some situations, I'm perfectly fine not knowing the details. But for others, I like to know a lot.
This is pertinent to life right now, as I prepare to travel to South Africa.
I leave in 3 days.
No less than 14 days after I moved, and 9 days after I started my new job.
So . .. my life is all about details right now.
I am traveling to meet a friend, who will be guiding me around his country.
I'm quite fine with knowing general details about the itinerary, as I know that things will change, and I mostly think that a general schedule is fine.
Except that it feels like it has been pulling teeth to get an updated/concise schedule.
To be honest, I recieved a long version, which had a boatload of information that my friends and family here don't need. Like descriptions of Kruger National Park (where I will be for a couple of days) and Sea World in Durban. Very sweet, but also kinda random. And not what my mom wants to know.
Also? It was significantly different than the last, 1-page version.
*sigh*
Just thinking about it makes me crazy. And my desire for more details is no doubt driving my south african friend equally crazy. But at least I am owning this? Ha ha.
So I will not digress. Too far.

Back to the details. Today I'm trying to pull together what seems like a million little details to prepare for my trip. So I thought another "in the last hour (or day . .. I'll cheat a little this time), I've . .. "
1. Put together a 2-page contact/travel/flight/host/general South African information document for my friends and family. This might have taken all day.
2. Registered my trip with the state department. There's a cool travel program, for anyone who is traveling abroad, go to http://www.travel.state.gov/
3. Contacted my "old" bank to let them know that I was traveling out of the country, and could they please make a note on my account so I could please buy things while abroad? Please and thanks. [Not to be confused with the new bank, who I have already informed.]
4. Written out cheat-sheet of addresses for a few folks so I can send some postcards from the motherland.
5. Started pile of stuff to put in carry-on. Pile currently includes: iPod, iPod charger, cute-new-journal, neck pillow, bag of snacks and travel kleenex.
6. Started another "things to do before I leave for SA" list.
7. Tried to buy a bus ticket (to take to O'Hare, where I will fly to Columbus to get onto my original flight). [Side note:Why on earth did I think this was a good idea? From a budget perspective it was fabulous . . . but . . . now that I've realized that I need to get on the bus at 5:00AM on Wednesday morning to get to O'Hare in time (the 7am shuttle gets there an hour before my flight. I only have a carry-on. It COULD work. But I'm not risking it. So  . . 5-freaking-AM flight it is. Lame.)] But I have to print the ticket. So I can't do it at home. Argh.
8. Flipped through SA travel guide.
9. Freaked out because I feel like I have a million things to do.
10. Reminded myself that I have, in fact, already packed my "real" luggage, so . .. that's off the to-do list.
11. And then we get back to the details. The little stuff. That can add up and make a person crazy . .  so, left to do are:
  * Make copies of passport and drivers license
  * Print off airline tickets, specifically return-tickets, as to gain entry to the country, you have to prove, in fact, that you are also going to leave. :)
  * Email compilation of travel information to list o' people who want it
  * Call health insurance to see if I am covered in case - God Forbid - something happens to me while I'm gone
  * I'm sure there are other things that I should do. But I don't know what they are. Or even if they exist. I might be fine. OR? I could be forgetting something I should have thought of.

Details. The devil is certainly in them. I'm looking foward to getting on the plane(s) and enjoying the vacation instead of worrying about getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment