Thursday, September 8, 2011

"I think I just joined a cult."

Tonight I stepped outside my comfort zone, and might have officially joined an 'adult sorority.'
Yep.
You read that right.
I'm trying something new, and have joined the Junior League of Madison.
My friend MB has introduced me to this new group of women who serve the Madison community.
Their mission is as follows: "The Junior League of Madison, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and to improving the community through the effective actions and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable." The vision of the League (as many refer to it) is to "commmit to improving the quality of life in our community through initiatives benefiting the health and well-being of women and children."

I can get behind all that.
And tonight I met some really great women who also want to meet other people and get involved in the Madison community. We talked about football, babies, wine and where to buy a new fall trench coat (I need to find one - so suggestions are needed!)

But I have to be honest, the whole night also felt a little surreal, and I might have said to MB at the end of it, "That was fun. Did we just join a cult?"

Good times. I'm sure there will be more to come as I jump into a completely new world. [Is it also bad that I have thought, 'this won't kill me, right?'] [I know, I know, this might not be the best reason to join an organization, but you can't tell if something is for you until you try it . . . right? And if you're reading this, you are well aware that I'm nothing but honest. :) I'm just sayin' . . . ]

What are YOU doing to step outside your comfort zone?

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You used to make so much fun of me initiating back in college. I love that you have done this. I will accept a mea culpa anytime :)

    Seriously, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! glad you're getting out there and meeting fun people in your new place! =) i'm still figuring out how to do that. have fun!

    ReplyDelete