Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Creepy, McCreeperson. Or, Some Thoughts on My First Tornado Warning in Madison

1.      I will probably get sucked away to Oz if a tornado actually touches down here because I’ll be watching the Doppler radar.
2.      God forbid.
3.      So . . . I live in an apartment building on the 3rd floor. I have a nice balcony and some sky lights. These are great, until my favorite meteorologist tells me to get away from any windows or glass because we have a crazy-huge thunderstorm-warning that turned into a tornado warning quite quickly. There was even a sighting on Legacy Street of a tornado touchdown.
4.      Legacy Street is supposedly on the West side of Madison.
5.      I am on the West Side of Madison.
6.      So are the apartments I run on campus.
7.      I have NO IDEA where said Legacy Street is.
8.      Um?
9.      Neat.
10.  So I debated about leaving the comfort of my couch . . . to go . . . where? My bathtub? To the basement to sit in my car?
11.  Should I put on non-pajama-type clothes? Running shoes?
12.  Nope.
13.  Because I’m a freak of nature who wants to watch the storm develop alongside said favorite meteorologist. [And by ‘want to watch’ I mean, I need to know what the heck is happening outside and I don’t own a weather radio. I can’t sit for 45  minutes in the dark. Call me a control freak, I’ll own it.]
14.  But I did open the blinds on my wall-o-windows so I could be on the lookout for a funnel cloud.
15.  Which would have been helpful during this “rain-obscured storm.” You couldn’t see jack shite.
16.  Except for my neighbor across the courtyard who continued his work out during the entire storm. Unphased, apparently. Has he not watched the news lately?
17.  The storm even freaked me out (I’m not one to get all riled up about this stuff) But this was disconcerting. Perhaps it was the threat of baseball-sized hail. Or the lightning. Or the sideways rain. Or perhaps the fact that they think that now the front of this storm has 80 – 100mph winds leading the way.
18.  And . . . yep. Now I’m blogging about it. The Doppler says I’m good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment