Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Musical Montage

Thanks to My iTunes library and the magic that is Pandora, I’ve realized there are some songs that regardless of who sings them, I’m a fan.
Here are a few of them, and the versions I find fun.

Blackbird
- The original, by the Beatles (of course – a true classic!)
- my friend Sarah McLachlan (from the movie I am Sam)
- and most recently Kurt, from the Glee cast.

Just The Way You Are
- Glee (there might be a theme here – but did you see that wedding episode? Freaking amazing.)

Hey, Soul Sister
Glee (I might be a fan.)
Street Corner Symphony [from the Sing-Off, Season 2]

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
- Straight No Chaser [a fun a capella group]
. . . just to name a few. There are a boatload of options out there - some with 'somewhere' in the title, and some without.

Make You Feel My Love
Love, love, LOVE the version of the Bob Dylan song by ADELE
Dylan’s original is amazing, but challenging to find online. (To be honest, I gave up . . . I’m sure it’s out there, but let’s be real, this list is getting a little long.)
There’s also a fun version by Knights Bridge (from the Hope Floats soundtrack)

Empire State of Mind
- Glee (do you expect something else at this point?)
- Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down – from Sex & the City 2 – I love this version, 'broken down' as it were, just Alicia. She has such an amazing voice.

And last, but not least, Say Hey (I Love You)[feat. Cherine Anderson] by Michael Franti & Spearhead. This isn’t someone else singing it, but my favorite version, lip synced by my friend Craig Ferguson. If this doesn’t make you laugh or smile, I don’t know what will.

2 comments:

  1. love these songs. blackbird actually makes me sob like a baby if i hear it unexpectedly, or when i'm tired or sad, or pregnant, or ... anything. =)

    oh, and craig ferguson ... that made my day. should i have let my kids watch it? i don't know, but we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you (and the kids) loved it. I don't know how many times I've watched it . . . makes me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete