Friday, April 22, 2011

The Beauty of Grey

I have noticed a new theme in my life.
I am obsessed with the color grey.
I have always enjoyed the concept of grey - I think that's why I enjoy working in higher education, and housing especially. There are all sorts of areas of grey. And if you can navigate those (instead of sticking to black-and-white-kinda-decision-making), I think we can make campus a great place to live for students, and a really great environment for our staff to work in.
In high school, I fell in love with the song, The Beauty of Gray, by LIVE. My friend Marci introduced it to me, and we quickly became obsessed. We listened to it before every cross country race. And while driving around town. Or just hanging out. We put it on mix tapes for each other. I'm confident we listened to it a lot.
Perhaps that's why the message has stuck so resolutely in my brain.
It's got a great beat, and the lyrics are pretty powerful, too. This link is a fun video that a photographer put together with the song and some of her photographs of people around the world. Very cool.
So back to the current obsession . . .
I can't seem to get enough grey into my life, including, but not limited to the following. (Some of which I have had to make sure are part of my life, and some I just admire whenever I see them while out and about . . .)
Like this bag - Simply Vera Wang by Vera Wang
These Converse All-Star Chucks


This bedspread from IKEA




And this nail polish, just to name a few. :)


Now, if only I could learn to appreciate a grey, rainy day, like we've had today, perhaps life would be perfect. I'm not sure I'm ready to go quite that far just yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment