Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Have you ever thought

"Who thinks this shite up?"
Because I wonder this all the time.
Most recently, i.e., tonight, when I got sucked into the show "Minute-to-Win-it."
I didn't mean to. I was getting ready to settle down into my couch and warm blanket, with a new library book, when the show came on and caught my attention.
And then I kept getting drawn back to the television, and finally gave up on the book.
Partly because I had to know if Mark was going to win the challenge.
And partly because I wondered:
1. Who thinks this stuff up?
2. No really - who thought this would make a great game show?
3. And then who put it on tv? Contestants pull tissue out of a box. For a game. And people watch it on television.
4. So who keeps thinking up these games? And people actually practice them? Like at home . . . games such as stacking 5 washington apples, and trying to get a gumball to land on the exact middle of a tennis racket, or roll an egg around on the bottom of a pizza pan to try and pick up four stickers.
5. For real?
Clearly, this is a stroke of genius, because I just got sucked in to this damn show, and couldn't turn it off - because I needed to know how far boy-wonder/hair salon owner/father of two cute girls with no college fund/nor retirement for his wife or himself would go. And so I watched the whole darn thing. Ridiculous. And kinda hated every minute of it. Yet I couldn't shut it off.
Perhaps it was created by the same people who write lifetime movies - those things are also impossible to look away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment