Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Wrigley at Eleven Months

Wrigley has changed so much since I got her (and wrote that first post), it feels impossible to catch up. Especially since I live with the aforementioned puppy. So I'm going to attempt to continue to catch up on our life together, but today I'll focus on the now.

Wrigley has learned:
Sit! Stay! Down! Come! Leave it! On your mat! Shake! Heel! Off! Wait!
As I write this list, especially like this, it seems like this should be longer. I guess that's because it doesn't include things like polite greetings (both for human and canine friends), on and off her leash, Wrigley has successfully completed three courses through our favorite trainers at Dog's Best Friend - Puppy I, Puppy II and Intermediate classes. She's made a lot of friends in these classes - this is one of my favorite photos from our last class, this is Wrigley and Tyke.


Things I want Wrigley to learn:
1. All of the above, without needing to practice.
2. How to use the bathroom. Indoors. I haven't gone down this road yet, but I'm tempted:  http://bit.ly/1bnid3K (She is extra smart and tall enough . .. gotta get some perks, right?

Wrigley is obsessed with:
1. Anything peanut butter.
2. The end.
3. My shoes - the more expensive, the better.
4. All things on the kitchen counter.


Human foods she wants to eat:
1. Everything cinnamon and sugar: cinnamon rolls, bagels, etc.
2. Fake cheese: think: Velveeta
3. Anything I happen to be eating.

Winter fun for Nancy Drew:
1. Wrigley finally grew out of the "let's-lick-every-sidewalk-crack-in-the-city" phase, and then it snowed. Now we're in the "let's-sniff-every-damn-snow pile-on-our-walk" phase. It's awesome, especially when the windchill is 40 below zero.
2. Wrigley is not a fan of the cold, but she loves, loves, LOVES the snow. She likes running in it, chasing it, watching it fall and eating it, in no particular order. She especially loves playing in the snow with any of her puppy friends. Personally, I'm thankful I invested in some snow pants so we can "enjoy" this time together.
3. I'll say it again: Brenda, you were right. Puppies love snow. [I was wrong.]


The Teenage Years
1. Wrigley is currently like a teenager: she is staying up late, sleeping in, and doing everything on her own terms. This is both endearing and annoying at exactly the same time.
2. Baby girl knows how to get my attention. She has a special run, which is essentially a trot across the living room that announces "I've got something I shouldn't . . . you'd better stop me!" This "something" is often a piece of my footwear, a Christmas ornament or a used dryer sheet.
3. Last week, Wrigley noticed that she was tall enough to see out our front windows - which overlook a park, street and sidewalk. We now have more barking from her as she announces her desire to be playing with everyone in the snow.
4. This is very different from the obsessing she does from the porch. "But momma, WHY can't I go play with those dogs/people/squirrels/snowflakes?"


Apparently this is all Wrigley wants me to share. My teenager is currently behaving like a two-month-old . . . needing some attention, which will force the end of this post. She's no longer willing to be put off via treats and bribes of peanut butter. Tomorrow I'll tell you more about this concept I've grown accustomed to, in a post I'll title, Be Here Now.

2 comments:

  1. My pup LOVES snow...but HATES rain. He runs his face through it like a snow plow, eats it, and generally wants to stay out in the cold longer than we want him to! Cute pics/videos! - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Wrigley is similar to Max in that way . . . she's definitely not a fan of the rain, but she will linger if there is a dog to play with or a human that MIGHT POSSIBLY give her a little love.

    ReplyDelete