Saturday, February 8, 2014

My life in Four Hour Increments - June 10, 2013

Update: This post was written in June, about a month after Wrigley came into my life. I'm pretty sure it never got posted because I meant to add photos.
 *sigh*
And then eight months went by. Pretend it's warm out:

***My Life in Four Hour Increments***

I've been meaning to write for some time now, but pretty much all free moments are devoted to the puppy. I got to spend some time on the porch this weekend, and did a nice brain dump of some stories to share. The most important part of this is that I got to sit on the porch and write. Wrigley has become a huge fan of the porch - she loves people and puppy watching, AND . . . she gets to sit on the furniture. Pretty sure she loves that part the most, as she's not allowed on the furniture in the house.



So, I got to write, and enjoy the ambiance of the porch on a cool summer night. Life is good!

This is going to be the most disjointed blog post yet, as I'm going to take that brain dump and attempt to make it a semblance of a list of fun puppy stories.

1. My life is planned into four hour increments. So during the week I pretty much go to work, sprint home, take out and attempt to play with Wrigley, sprint back to work, and four hours later, I come home and do it again. While also trying to push off dinner time as long as possible. This is mostly so I don't have to get up at 4:00am. I'm getting close to four and a half hours. . . . which means that 5 hours of puppy bladder strength is just around the corner!
"I'm sorry, Momma, that you are in a hurry to get back to work. But the weather is so lovely, I think I'd rather lay here in the grass, thank you very much, and enjoy the breeze and the bugs and the not-being-in-a-crate. You cool with that?"

2. During our second week together, we had some long days. Like the one that day that I got to wash Wrigley's crate pad three times in one day. ONE DAY! Definitely getting my use out of my washer and dryer.


3. My dog likes to eat rocks (and dirt and grass and dandelions and wood chips). With all the washing of her crate pad and blankets, I find a lot of rocks and pebbles in my dryer. Awesome perk. [Yes, I did contemplate saving them for amusement. That thought lasted for a good 3 minutes.]

4. Wrigley is pretty good with loud noises, which is helpful since we live on a main thoroughfare downtown - lots of sirens and people and loud noises. She seems to really like watching the skateboarders - maybe she'll be a trick dog in the future!


5. Danes aren't apparently that bright. But I got myself a smart girl - she's figured out how to get out of her crate. I've taken to adding two locks/caribeners to the doors. {Thanks to a helpful hint from a friend who suggested two - only adding one can be dangerous because smart puppies could get stuck squeezing out of the opening.}
This is Wrigley trying to figure out the combination. Why is there a combination lock on her crate? Because this happened when she figured out how to open the door: 


         =    


6.Wrigley LOVES meeting people. In fact, she clearly looks snubbed when someone walks past her on the sidewalk who doesn't want to say hello and give her some loving. It's pretty cute. I've tried suggesting to her that not everyone is going to want to meet her, but that logic has yet to sink in.

7. This weekend Wrigley met two cats. One did NOT LIKE Wrigley AT ALL. The other one didn't mind a puppy with ginormous paws . . . until she did.


8. At least a couple times a week a stranger asks if they can take a picture of Wrigley. Of course we say yes. Some friends suggested we ask for a donation for her treat and food fund. Not a bad idea.

9. I find myself talking to my dog. A lot. Like .. . pretty much all the time. I've even started singing. My friends K Savvy and P-Bad should be proud. The most recent song for her is to the tune of No One Mourns the Wicked. It goes something like this . . . "Puppies can't be trusted....."
We only need one line. Because Puppies CAN'T Be Trusted.

10. Wrigley behaves like a toddler before bedtime - she sprints around the house, pulling all of her toys out of her toy box, getting all bite-y and clearly exhibiting a tantrum fit, yelling in her own way, "I'm not tired! I'm not tired! I'm. NOT. TIRED." Until I coax, pull and eventually shove her into her bed. She emits a few requisite barks, and then falls asleep immediately. After the barking and biting is over, it's pretty freaking cute.

11. Wrigley has recently figured out that she can fit under my bed [it's on lifts for more storage]. Pretty sure she has commandeered this space as her own personal fort. I try to capture pictures of her peeking her front paws and nose out from under the bed, but it's thus far been pretty hard to capture. Never fear, I am nothing if not stubborn. This picture is going to happen!


12. Sometimes it takes us an hour to walk around our park, which even with a few friendly hello's, should only take twenty minutes. This is not always helpful, especially with that whole four-hour-increment life style we've got going on. Sometimes it takes so long because Wrigley decides to do this:

Needless to say, life with Wrigley continues to be pretty damn awesome. I think I'll keep her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment