Thursday, June 16, 2011

A PSA for those on the Job Market

Sometimes I think I should provide a public service and help others with their job search materials. I think I’ve got a pretty good knack for it. Recently while reviewing some resumes and cover letters a few issues jumped out.  Being the generous soul that I am, I thought I’d share a few elements that stuck out for me:

1.       Don’t make me guess about anything. I have a vivid imagination. It will behoove you to spell things out. Someone who is not proficient in your field might be reviewing your resume. Acronyms are not helpful to the lay-folks.

2.       Just put the year you graduated already. For Pete’s sake. (Or as my phone likes to autocorrect to, for Perestroika’s sake!) When I have to do the math to figure out how much experience you have, or if you place work from your undergraduate years mixed in with the rest, it’s confusing. I don’t like to be confused. Your resume should be easy to understand.

3.       Please be consistent with your bullets – size/shape/etc. When you aren’t, I notice that stuff. It’s distracting to those of us who are detail-oriented. If this is not a strength of yours, find a friend or colleague who is to help you out.

4.       Use your cover letter wisely. Please do not completely reiterate everything in your resume. This is not helpful. You have an opportunity to share new and interesting information, and showcase your personality. Don’t bore me by rewriting your resume.

5.       Do Not showcase your personality with an inappropriate email address. Nothing says unprofessional like BeerPongQueen@email.com or Kick@$$Mojo@email.com on your cover letter and resume. Please get it together as you enter the workforce.  I can’t take you seriously as a candidate if you don’t market yourself seriously.

6.       That is all. Public Service Completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment