Monday, February 14, 2011

A Few Thoughts on Moving

There are some things about moving that are really exciting – like starting a new job, meeting new people, finding adventure around every corner – you name it. Navigating a new place can be pretty cool.
But some stuff isn’t really exciting. Like finding new resources – like doctors, dentist, optometrist, chiropractor, hair stylist/colorist, mechanic, massage therapist, pharmacy, you name it. The team of people that you appreciate, but probably not enough until you don’t have them. Or a name and number to replace them. These are the people that I need to find. I take that back. I have a mechanic, thanks to my boss. Now it’s just those other people to find.  
Also? When you’re interviewing candidates for a job? And your title is director, they assume you can answer their questions. It kinda stinks when you don’t know the answers to simple questions – like, “what will the training for this position entail?” Yep, I should totally know what the answer to that is, and I have no idea. Luckily I have a team of people helping with these interviews, and most-likely, someone will know the appropriate response.

1 comment:

  1. moving ... i would never have called navigating a new place "cool" - it's part of the whole business that stresses me out (cranky kids in the backseat while we're lost and desperately late somewhere that we've never been before is not my idea of fun). but there are other fun parts. =)
    the finding new people part is hard. this time i suddenly needed a new o.b. (like ASAP, before we have a possible emergency!!!) but didn't want to tell anyone we were pregnant yet, so asking people for recommendations was out. fun times! i ended up with a midwife that works with a bunch of doctors (the only way i am allowed to be under the care of a midwife) who i think is great - which is just the best possible option and exactly what i've been hoping for since we left my all-time favorite dr in colorado. so, sometimes it all works out. now i just have to find a new pediatrician who is reasonable and calm and nice to my kids and treats me like a person and not an idiot. that would be great. =)

    ReplyDelete